CBD AND PAIN

By Dr. Doug Fryday, D.C.
Blogger for InsideOut Lifestyle Soulutions



Around the globe, pain is one of the most common reasons to visit a family physician or other health care provider. For these professionals pain can be challenging to manage, especially when it becomes chronic. It is estimated that 30% of Americans are living with some degree of chronic pain and at least 20% world wide.


The exponential increase in narcotics use that has led to the current opioid crisis reveals the dire need to re-examine the standard protocol for acute and chronic pain management.






Of all the reasons that people use CBD today, pain is the most common. In the United States, over one 100 million people suffer from chronic pain, which is defined as experiencing over one hundred days per year of pain. In the world that number jumps to over 1.5 billion.

The driving force behind pain in general is inflammation, which is the body`s innate mechanism to deal with trauma whether it`s from an acute or chronic situation. Higher levels of inflammation in our bodies increases damaging free radicals, this is called oxidative stress. When oxidative stress is running wild destruction occurs to all cells that make up our entire body . This innate inflammatory defense response is controlled via the brain. As I have said before I like to call the brain Houston Control. Our brain controls all systems and functions in our bodies.


                                                                                       

I myself have been dealing with chronic pain since the fall of 2004. While helping with my local sailing club to remove masts for winter storage, I fell off a sail boat and separated my right shoulder very badly. My job was to keep the boat off the dock when a rogue wave suddenly sent the boat towards the dock. As I was propelled towards the dock I grabbed the forestay and my body went over the side of the boat. I probably should have let go, but, I was worried about getting crushed between the boat and the cement dock. Two of my buddy`s rescued me and pulled me back on to the boat. I suffered a very badly separated shoulder and a herniated disc in my neck that wasn`t evident at the time. Over the next years I suffered from chronic neck pain, tension type headache and severe radicular pain into my arm which could be exacerbated depending on my physical intensity at work and play. Mild pain control with the over the counter(OTC) extra-strength liquid Advil had to eventually be eliminated as it was aggravating my irritable bowel syndrome(IBS). 

After searching for a drug free and non-addictive alternative I began taking CBD oil in 2016  and not only have I experienced dramatic relief in my chronic neck and arm pain, but I have unexpectedly also experienced totally elimination of severe  foot pain caused by a Morton`s neuroma and reduced symptoms from my IBS. 


The mechanism behind the powerful benefits of taking CBD for pain control via the endocannabinoid system is its ability to work as a potent anti-inflammatory. 

The endocannabinoid system (ECS) was discovered in the mid-1990`s by the Israeli researcher Dr. Ralph Mechoulam. It is a relatively new discovery despite being a very important part of how humans and mammals function.
The ECS is a biological system composed of endocannabiniods which are neurotransmitters that attach to cannabinoid receptors located throughout the body. The two primary receptors are CB1 and CB2. CB1 receptors are found predominately in the brain, nervous system, peripheral organs and tissues. CB2 receptors are predominately found in the immune system and hematopoietic cells.
The ECS plays a major role in regulating sleep, pain and pleasure, mood, memory, sexual reproduction, immune function, cell growth, temperature, movement and appetite. The endocannabinoid system is to help us maintain homeostasis when challenged by external and internal stress and improper lifestyle choices, through modulating both the central (brain and spinal cord) and peripheral nervous systems.
Since the ECS modulates the nervous system it has a governing role over all the other systems in the body, including the immune system, digestive system, circulatory system, respiratory system, excretory system, endocrine system, integumentary system, skeletal system, muscle system and reproductive system. So you can see the ECS has a very important role in maintaining optimal function and ultimately optimizing health.

It is the ECS`s governing role over the immune system that is the key to CBD`s role in combating inflammation, free radicals and ultimately pain.



Comments